Oceans of Garbage
Our population continues to grow at an unsustainable rate, and the infographic from MastersDegree.net brings this home in chilling detail.
Consuming unhealthy or non-nutritious food is usually a choice, but sometimes, the things people eat are much worse for them than they know.
When it comes to seafood, the average person is consuming well over 13.6kg of it each year. From those who are serious seafood aficionados to those who eat it for its numerous health benefits, people all over the world indulge in popular fish options like tuna, salmon, and more every day.
But while the whole globe is enjoying its fishy favorites, very few are taking into account that there’s something else lurking in the water: Garbage.
With 70% of our Earth’s surface covered in water, and the other 30% of land being inhabited by 7 billion people, it comes as no surprise that some of the waste we generate is ending up in the water.
But realistically, far more trash is flooding our oceans, rivers, and lakes than people think, and this has begun to result in murkier waters, warmer oceans, and bits of trash in the bellies of fish we eat. via mastersdegree.net